The skin, in addition to protecting us, also sends alerts of possible health problems, so if we pay attention to the signals of our skin, we can find out that some of our organs are not working correctly, and, therefore, we can detect certain diseases at weather. We tell you what signs reveal disorders in our health.
Signs of the skin that warn of health problems
The skin is about 2m 2 in size and is the largest organ we have. It covers our body, protects it from bacteria, acts as a barrier against environmental aggressions and reflects diseases, through symptoms such as itching, spots, hives, wounds, etc.
These are the signs on the skin that we must be aware of because they can alert us to a health problem.
Constant itching all over the body
Continued itching, without a trace of any visible rash, can alert you to:
· Chronic kidney disease: When the kidney does not work well, its filter function is impaired, which contributes to the appearance of itching, headache, general tiredness or presence of foam in the urine.
· Thyroid: it is one of the symptoms when this gland is altered, either because it works more than necessary (hyperthyroidism) or because it goes at a slow pace (hypothyroidism).
· Anemia, due to lack of iron.
· Dryness of the skin (xerosis).
· Decreased or interrupted bile flow (cholestasis).
Stains of this color could be indicative of:
· Inflammation of the blood vessels (vasculitis): causes the vessels to weaken and make it harder for the blood to pass through them. This favors the appearance of bright red spots, especially on the legs.
· Diabetes: when blood sugar levels are very high, the blood capillaries weaken and these spots appear, usually also on the legs.
· Liver cirrhosis.
Hives in a certain area
Hives on the skin can indicate some type of allergy (to pollen, certain foods, mites, etc.) or an insect bite. But they can also be caused by:
· The celiaquia.
· An infection, such as mononucleosis or Covid-19. According to the Spanish Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, these skin manifestations are very varied: from eruptions mainly on the trunk, urticarial, vesicular eruptions similar to chicken pox, purpura ... etc.
Small spots under the skin
Also known as petechiae, they are caused by the rupture of the tiny blood vessels that we have under the skin. Sometimes they may be formed due to low platelets. They are what make the blood clot and its level can be altered by diseases such as anemia or a lack of vitamin B12.
Monitor the shape and size of your moles to treat possible skin cancer early.
Sores in the mouth
These small lesions that affect the mucosa of the mouth can be a sign of chronic disorders such as:
· Inflammatory bowel diseases: ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.
White or large tongue
The skin of the tongue is altered with some diseases:
· Candidiasis - A thick, whitish coating forms caused by antibiotics or overuse of rinses
· Diabetes: the feeling is that the tongue is larger than usual and has a dark reddish tone. In this case, you should consult your doctor and have your blood glucose level tested.
Diseases of the skin
In addition to the diseases that we have discussed above, we can also find those of the skin, such as eczema, psoriasis or dermatitis.
If you detect something abnormal on your skin, go to the dermatologist as soon as possible. They will recommend the most suitable treatment for you. Check our medical chart. At AFEMEFA we have the best professionals to solve all your problems.
If you still don't know about AFEMEFA Insurance, find out now about health insurance for the whole family and youth insurance.