It was an orderly transfer. Uniformed British soldiers led by General Howe’s cousin Major General Hugh Patterson carried the Bell to a horse-drawn wagon. The wagon was escorted by a detachment of mounted British troops, arrayed in "a long series of neat lines that resembled a miniature battle-line."
14. The Preachers Bell went on a road trip in 1973. It was ringing in the joyful news that fellow Preachers Bell had won the 1975 National Championship.
The wagon carrying the bell and its trophy made several stops in and around the Colonial capital of Colonial Williamsburg. The procession went through the city's streets, including the city's Market Square, and through the capital's close-in suburbs.
18. The Colonial Williamsburg trekkers carried the Bell away from Colonial Williamsburg in December 2015. The bell was removed from its pedestal by a crane and carried through the historic town.
Once in 1957 at the request of the city’s founding father, John D. Rockefeller Jr., and the Foundation, his family's gift of a dozen priceless bells was placed in the original bell tower at the College of William and Mary, there along with bells from the other 12 founding towns and from every other colonial capital. The bells closed their book in the tower and began ringing.
20. The Colonial Williamsburg Bell weighed more than 4,000 pounds. The bell weighed more when it passed from Colonial Williamsburg to the Institute of the Americas in Dallas, Texas, and still weighed more than 3,600 pounds when it left the Institute of the Americas for Ringing Camp. d2c66b5586